Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Remembering Private Joseph "Joel" Paulson - WW1




I didn't want to forget a man I never met, who is still a part of my history.  My Dad's mom (my Grandma)'s brother, Joseph, whom she called Joel, went off to War when he was 20 during WW1.  I heard the stories growing up -  about the brother, the uncle, the great-uncle none of us ever knew.  He died in WW1.  "Wasn't there for long before he died"... "never left Halifax".    Possibly the truth is, he died from influenza, the Spanish Flu, on his way over.  As, I'm sure so many deaths must have been contributed to illness.  He was only 20 when he died in 1918, buried in Hampshire, UK.  This, I only found out during my research to validate his existence.   Isn't it funny, as in funny - peculiar, how we always need validation of existence?  Hearing about him all my life piqued my interest - but I don't have any photos, I never saw a picture of him in uniform hanging on the wall.  I really don't know that much about him, but my Grandma must have loved him because she gave my Dad his nickname "Joel" as one of his given names, and my brother was also given his name.  So, Joseph, Joel... must have been a special guy - so, I want to know everything I can about this man, we all know so little of.  I can't ask my Grandma now... since, she has passed.  But, in this world of technology, and a little help from my genealogical mom - I found a couple of things so far.
He was born July 13, 1898.  He had 4 sisters and 3 brothers,  Palmer, Olga, Selmer (Sam), Arthur (Arten - whom my brother was named for), Mabel, Mary and my Grandma, Annie.  He was in the Canadian Infantry Saskatchewan Regiment 15th Div Reserve Battalion.  They gave plaques to the family of those who died.  He died October 5, 1918 and was buried in Hampshire, United Kingdom in the Bramshott (ST. MARY) Churchyard.  (If you're ever passing through, please give him my love).  






So we know that he made it overseas, but other than that I have more personal digging to do.  For me, just seeing his name recognized and added to a War Memorial validates the existence of this ancestor who's blood runs through my veins.  I can now feel a closeness, an attachment, or a connection.  I can't explain it - but it brings me peace.  
Brenda Gelean

No comments:

Post a Comment